Well Water Safety Tips
Keep Your Drinking Water Safe
Well Safety Tips
- Don’t store or mix chemicals near the wellhead. A simple spill could go directly into the well.
- Don’t pour pesticides or other dangerous chemicals down the drain.
- Take care when using chemicals to melt ice in the winter. They can pollute groundwater.
- Seal abandoned wells. They are a direct route from the surface to groundwater.
- Test your well water annually. Inspect visible well components for signs of problems.
Faulty Well Components
If contamination is from faulty well components, the current owner will often agree to make necessary repairs, because once known, contamination is a material fact that must be disclosed to all potential buyers. The well should be sanitized after repairs are complete, then re-tested to ensure the problem has truly been corrected.